Introduction: African cinema has been gaining worldwide recognition in recent years, with a growing number of movies from the continent being featured on popular streaming platforms such as Netflix. These movies showcase the diverse cultures, languages, and stories of Africa, giving audiences a glimpse into the rich tapestry of the continent. In this article, we’ll explore the best African movies on Netflix, why they’re worth watching, and what makes African cinema so unique.
Why African Movies?
African movies offer a refreshing perspective on storytelling, one that is often missing in mainstream cinema. They feature a diverse range of genres, from drama and comedy to action and horror, and explore themes such as identity, history, and social justice. African movies are also known for their powerful performances, vibrant visuals, and compelling storytelling, making them a must-watch for movie lovers.
The Best African Movies on Netflix
- “Lionheart” (2018) – A heartwarming Nigerian movie about a woman who takes over her father’s struggling transportation company.
- “The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind” (2019) – A Malawian movie based on a true story about a young boy who builds a wind turbine to save his village from famine.
- “Atlantics” (2019) – A Senegalese movie that explores themes of love, loss, and spirituality through the story of a group of young workers who go missing at sea.
- “Citation” (2020) – A Nigerian movie that tackles issues of sexual harassment in universities and the fight for justice.
- “The Wedding Party” (2016) – A Nigerian romantic comedy that follows the chaotic events leading up to a wedding.
What Makes African Cinema Unique?
African cinema is unique in its portrayal of African cultures and traditions, and its exploration of issues that are often overlooked in mainstream cinema. It also often utilizes a more experimental style of filmmaking, with non-linear storytelling, symbolic imagery, and an emphasis on visual storytelling. Additionally, African cinema often incorporates multiple languages and dialects, showcasing the linguistic diversity of the continent.
Future of African Cinema on Netflix
With the increasing popularity of African movies on Netflix, there is no doubt that the platform will continue to showcase more movies from the continent. This is a positive development for African filmmakers and movie lovers alike, as it provides a platform for African stories to be seen and heard by a global audience.
African cinema offers a unique perspective on storytelling, one that is often missing in mainstream cinema. The best African movies on Netflix showcase the diversity and richness of African cultures, as well as the talent of African filmmakers. With more and more African movies being added to the platform, there has never been a better time to explore the world of African cinema.